Bar Harbor to Balsam Cove Campground, Maine – June 21, 2017

Buckled to Birch (Freecamp - Highway 3)
I woke around 6:30 AM and quickly beat it from my free camp. I was relatively close to Highway 3, but this wasn’t a factor due to my free fan (white noise) application on my iPhone. Christina turned me on to this technique on the Camino last summer. My life was forever changed.

Mosquito Trap (Reason #1 to Reject Bivy Sack)
I pedaled into Bar Harbor and found Jeannie’s Great Maine Breakfast, ordering their namesake meal. Decent. The major event at Jeannie’s was not the food; the power went out halfway through my breakfast. The rumor spread around the cafe that a tree had fallen on a power line. Knowing that I had limited opportunities to use a restroom, I pulled my headlamp out and proceeded into the darkened space. No problem.

Pre Outage
Aim... (Bar Harbor Overlook)
Bar Harbor Burying Ground
Leaving Bar Harbor, I entered the outskirts of Arcadia National Park. There is real beauty on Mount Desert Island. I stopped for awhile to contemplate still lakes showcasing beaver lodges. I hope to return.

Beaver Lodges - Arcadia National Park
After entering Ellsworth, I noticed that my rear tire was slowly losing pressure. As luck would have it, a half mile further brought me to Cadillac Mountain Sports. One of the mechanics quickly installed a new tube and fine tuned my rear derailleur and breaks. I did not catch his name, but this was a huge time saver.

It was after the town of Surry that I took highway 176 south instead of north. I’m generally headed south, but I should have paid better attention to the map. I ended up in the quaint town of Blue Hill, approximately ten miles off course. After gathering myself, I started pedaling (the only reasonable way to solve the problem). At about six o’clock, I found myself at the front desk of Balsam Cove Campground.

Mistake Metaphor
A hot shower does wonders for the beaten psyche. After toweling off, I was emboldened. Walking down to the Toddy Pond waterfront, I was again fueled by beauty.

Returning to my campsite, I grabbed my yoga mat and headed back to the beach; I had it in mind to do my practice on one of the docks. An older man, looking for solace with his fishing pole, had materialized on the middle dock while I was away. Walking down a different float, I asked if he would mind me stretching. My request was quite loud, and sound carries over water well; he heard me, but said nothing. I faced away from him, rolled out my mat and began the forty-minute routine. I was conscious that my posterior faced his direction. After striking several downward facing dog poses, he headed in the direction of his tent. I guess the fish stopped biting.

No comments:

Post a Comment