Upton, Massachusetts to Grosvenordale, Connecticut – July 3, 2017

That Rhode Island Border Crossing (Selfie 3)
I rode out of Massachusetts today, dipped into Rhode Island and crossed over into Connecticut. Imaginary lines give the impression of great progress.
After packing up in the morning, and before leaving Upton, I stopped at the local laundromat to clean clothes. There, I met Roger, a music therapist. He had some interesting things to say about the importance of not losing your sense of self. Summary: Jobs and outside pressures cause humans to act in ways that do not reflect their true nature. Roger was of the opinion that this loss of self is harming the whole of society. It was a pleasure speaking with him.

Bicycle Lockup (Maintenance Required) - Whitensville Library
The Key to Happiness - Whitensville Library
Surveying the Layout - Whitensville Library
I cycled a short distance up the road to Whitensville and found their library open. I read for over an hour, then moved across the street to Domino’s Pizza. For twelve dollars I was able to acquire a medium pizza and a large garden salad. I ate the salad and one-third of the pizza, then strapped the box to the rear rack of my bike. In the heat of the day, and pizza in the tank, I began getting serious about covering mileage. It would make more sense to take the middle portion of the day off.

The Word "No" Again - Whitin Reservoir
Fire Lookout - Buck Hill Road
And as things fell apart... - Grosvenordale, Connecticut
The thirty-mile route was a roller coaster; patience and attitude are everything. Having gone through about two-and-a-half liters of water pedaling, I was grateful to find a water spigot outside the Grosvenordale Post Office. Minutes later, I cycled up on a forested hill (I had previously scouted it using the Google Maps satellite view feature). Perfect spot!

Tapping the PO - Grosvenordale, Connecticut
I took a bottle shower (using less soap this time) and entered my tent for the evening, pleasantly exhausted. I went to sleep shortly after the pyros ceased touching flame to wicks.

Hill Freecamp (Peaceful Lighting) - Grosvenordale, Connecticut

No comments:

Post a Comment