(West of) Millbrook Village to Belvidere, New Jersey – July 11, 2017

Delaware River Dividing Line
The rain came down hard in waves last night, a pleasant sound in a cozy tent. I was up and out of camp relatively quickly, finishing out the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

I took a more relaxed approach to the day, cycling just over twenty-five miles. I needed rest.

Crossing the Delaware
Roll On, Delaware
While crossing over the river, I briefly spoke with two young AT hikers. They said that they enjoyed the hiking but not the social aspect of their trip. They were hoping to encounter easy-going hippies. Instead, they found a lot of young people partying with serious drugs. I was somewhat taken aback. If, and when, I hike the AT, I will need to find places to camp outside of the big group areas. I’ll do some research.

Crime (Punishment?) - Delaware River Crossing into Belvidere, New Jersey
Upon entering the town of Delaware Water Gap, I was drawn to a large sign that read “Apple Pie”. I entered the convenience store / restaurant and chose strawberry-rhubarb. It was decent, although I couldn’t finish due to the sweetness and the clientele at the establishment.

There were many AT hikers in the store making purchases. One sat at a table rubbing his head with both hands as he stared downward, despondent. At this point, each had walked approximately 1,300 miles (and looked the part). One particular ginger-haired man looked so ripe, the produce section couldn’t possibly sell him (even at a deep discount). Other hikers gave him space.

Napping the River (Water Music) - Belvidere, New Jersey
I continued on my solitary trip toward Belvidere. The stretch was quite hilly. I entered town just after the noon hour. I ate at a local restaurant, then headed to the town river park to dry my tent and rest. Before leaving town, I grabbed groceries and two bottles of hot tap water to clean up with at camp. Just outside of town, a mowed trail invited me to stay. I couldn’t turn down the invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment