Port Jervis, New York to (West of) Millbrook Village, New Jersey – July 10, 2017

Chain Work - Port Jervis Park
I woke this morning knowing that I had many things to accomplish before leaving Port Jervis. I would be cycling into the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, likely to have little in the way of services. I groceried up, cleaned my bike chain then spent time at the library reading while my tent dried and supplemental cell phone battery charged. By one o’clock, I was ready to pedal.

Drying Rack - Port Jervis Public Library
I entered New Jersey shortly after leaving Port Jervis, cycling continuously through to Walpack Center. On the way, I rode up on a group of about fifteen students working their way down the road with small backpacks on. The counselor, a twenty-something who I cycled next to, communicated that they were a summer camp program challenging youth in the out of doors. They were all sleeping under tarps at a nearby campground. I smiled in approval. The country needs more programs similar to this.

Students on Cycles - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
At Walpack Center, I spoke with a park employee while resting (and eating my hero sandwich) at a picnic bench. She let me know that the park service owns, and maintains, all of the buildings in the small town. They are conveniently rented to those working in the national recreation area.

On my way out, I noticed that some of the homes were better maintained than others. A beaver crossed one yard and entered a hole near the base of the building. I wondered how much she pays, and how.

As I rolled closer to Millbrook Village, a cyclist by the name of Scott, came up from behind. He filled me in on what to expect the next twenty miles. He mentioned that there were many black bear in the park and that one person was recently mauled (black bear are usually skittish around people). My eyes widened to scan the area.

After taking with him about a few of his life adventures (AT twice, PCT Mexico to Chico, CA, Pacific Coast Tour), we parted ways. I found out that he was a Warm Showers host. Accepting humans are everywhere! We parted with pleasant goodbyes.

Sure enough, just two miles up the road, I witnessed a large black bear lumbering across the pavement. I hesitated, then started singing “Country Roads Take Me Home” as I approached to let him know I was coming. He didn’t meet to chat.

Next to the Ruins - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
I found a nice spot by a barn and the ruins of a house in the high country for the night (park service land). I enjoyed a bottle shower and the hum-talk of beavers in the pond below. I placed my food far away from my tent, not wanting to be bear bait.

As my head hit the pillow, I wondered what my chances would be in a one-on-one showdown with only my U-Lock to protect me. My calculation – less than one percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment