(West of) Dwaarkill to Port Jervis, New York – July 9, 2017

REI Catalogue Photo?
I woke at first light and moved forth from the graveyard. It was humorous thinking about myself in this ridiculous predicament. To be quite honest, I frequently manage to wind up in troubling circumstances. I have settled on the fact that this is unlikely to change; I just need to work on graceful exits.

Waiting to Zap the Big One

Tough Tree Cutter
I pedaled, with very minor breaks, to Port Jervis. The city sits on the New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey borders. I stopped by Burger King to fill my four water bottles. Looking at the back-lit menu, the vegetarian burger caught my eye; it wasn’t bad. I stopped at the library (knowing it was closed) but, according to the satellite view on Google Maps, had several shade trees that I could use for my hammock. I dozed, wrote, read and called Christina. Life is simple on a bicycle tour.

Cocoon (it's full of stars...) - Port Jervis Public Library
While resting, I researched the local high school and found that it contained an ample-sized field by a small stream – perfect for camping. When I cycled up, two beavers dove down into the water. They owned the place, having occupied the stream long enough to construct a small dam. I hope that the science classes are studying them from a distance. They are a pleasing mammal to watch.
There were two people on the field kicking the soccer ball around, so I pulled out my mat and did yoga for forty minutes until they left. I set up my tent and took a bottle shower by moon beams and track lights. The fireflies celebrated my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment