Belvidere to (South of) Frenchtown, New Jersey – July 12, 2017

Rock Face and Railroad (Few Cars) - New Jersey
I continued, almost exclusively, along the Delaware River today. We have become closer friends; I admire her beauty.

In the early morning, I cycled into Phillipsburg before nine o’clock. I ate, visited their public library and read. I stopped at a laundromat on the outskirts of town to clean clothes and read more while cooling myself by a fan; the place was HOT.

Eye of the Hurricane - Phillipsburg Laundromat
I sipped a Coke while a group of youngsters (8 year olds?) made ruckus by the tub sink. One boy climbed on the LG washer and yanked cone-shaped cups from the dispenser, handing them to friends (he had dipped his muzzle here before). After the oasis party was over, cups were hand-crushed and deposited in the sink.

An older woman, undoubtedly a frequent customer of the place (a protector of the watering hole), reprimanded them in a firm but reasonable manner letting them know that the management could turn off the faucet. I finished my Coke while the kids cleaned up. It takes a village.

A Topic for Discussion
Working Conditions
I moved on down the road to Milford, finding a Mexican restaurant open. The chicken burrito was so tasty, I ordered a second to go. A local grocery store provided fruit for the morning; I was ready to find a camp spot.

Several miles out of town, I left the main road to follow a gravel path (D & R Canal State Park) just above the Delaware River. This proved to be a good choice.

River Path (Running for Miles) - Delaware River
Camping Okay? - Delaware River
Pre Dip - Delaware River
Winging my way (more like plodding) down the path, I noticed a little trail leading down to the riverbank. After pulling the brakes and scouting the situation, I knew that I was done cycling for the day. Flat, river-worn rocks extended conveniently out into the water. In less than fifteen minutes, I was enjoying a skinny dip in the Delaware.

After cleaning up with a little soap, I pitched the tent, at a slight decline, on the hill. The last thing I remember were the fireflies high up in the maple branches and the banter of wildlife, relating their reckless adventures to anyone who would listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment