Introduction - June 19, 2017

The Breakdown
Last summer, after having walked all five hundred miles from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France, to Santiago, Spain (the Camino de Santiago), I walked three extra days out to Finisterre on the Atlantic coast. It was while I was soaking up the sunsets with my partner, Christina, that I began thinking about the North American view of the ocean...

Box View
I am now comfortably sitting at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport typing a few words into my phone, the door to adventure open again.Heading into this trip, I've experienced a hurricane of projects, mostly school related. This year, I took on the challenge of planning two major backpacking trips for all interested eighth grade students. Seventy fourteen year olds challenged themselves to take the five-day, four-night "Shipwreck Coast" hike in Olympic National Park. I ran two trips, taking only one week in between. Eighth grade staff followed this trip up with three days, two nights at Fort Casey.

With grades, classroom cleanup and the necessity of renewing my teaching certificate, there was little time to break down my bike and throw my gear together. I find it miraculous that I am here at this moment of time.

Boxes and Bags (Bound for Bar Harbor)
I put out a message for a Warm Showers host in Bar Harbor, Maine. No response. I will be sleeping (hopefully) on the airplane tonight on my flight to Boston. My plan is to cycle at least as far as Washington, D. C. Unfortunately / fortunately I have no place to stay Tuesday night or thereafter.

I do have a tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment