Crystal Lake to West Granby (Pine Cone Mountain), Connecticut – July 5, 2017

Farming the North Country - Windsor Locks (East)
I woke this morning with the birds and was on the road just after six o’clock. It was my goal to ride at least fifteen miles in the early morning before I made a major stop. I had the pleasure of quietly moving through farmland outside of Windsor Locks. The cool temperature, with the sun still low in the sky, made for a pleasant start to the day.

Just Starting - Windsor Locks (East)
Rusted Out - Windsor Locks (East)
Patriotism (4th of July)
Pickleworks Restaurant presented itself on route in Windsor Locks, just before the airport. I enjoyed the scrambled eggs and a side of fruit that the waitress brought me. Business was slow, so I slipped into the restroom for an extended period to clean up my beard; keeping good hygiene is relatively simple, even while living almost exclusively out of a tent.

Fancy Horse (Dentist Attraction)
I made one more eight mile push before noon to Granby, then enjoyed relaxing while the temperature climbed, staying in town for about five hours. The majority of my time was spent reading and thinking under shade trees in my hammock.

Gone Readin' - Granby, Connecticut
Pull Up - Granby Public Library
I plan to continue this routine for the foreseeable future (cycle, relax, cycle). I have settled into covering about thirty miles per day. This leaves plenty of downtime (5+ hours) for exploring / relaxing / reading.

Bicycle touring is simply a vehicle to better understand yourself and the world. It feels like I am the only human being out here living this lifestyle. This is something that I haven’t been able to fully understand.

Above the River (Freecamp)
Pre Dip (Freecamp)
Approximately six miles out of Granby, I heard the continuous sound of water from the opposite side of the road. Guardrails lined both shoulders. I rested my bike against the rail on my right, walked across the road and looked down into paradise, a flat forest floor above a happily chortling river. I waited for a break in the traffic, then lifted my steed over the fence and rolled down into the forest. After setting up my tent, I went down for a refreshing dip and a fresh change of clothes.

I will float this river of dreams tonight…

No comments:

Post a Comment