West Granby (Pine Cone Mountain) to Salisbury, Connecticut – July 6, 2017

Saville Dam (1940 Built to Last)
I climbed for over twenty miles this morning into Appalachia, my goal being Norfolk. Although it seemed like I was constantly looking upward, it was well worth the effort. Picture views could be found around every turn.

No Key to the Kingdom - Saville Dam
Early on, I cycled over the Saville Dam and Barkhamsted Reservoir, an amazing accomplishment built in the 1940’s. The heavy stone was old world, even fantasy like. Feeling like a questing knight, I tried opening the door to the prominent stone structure that extended out into the water. Finding it locked broke the spell. I remembered my bike and rode on.

Fishing the Farmington
Outside of Pleasant Valley, I stopped for a bite to eat alongside the west bank of the Farmington River. As I sat on the stones, a fisherman came out of the woods on the east side of the river, waded out into the water and cast his fly. I soaked up the setting, then pedaled on.

Earth Friendly Garbage Run - Norfolk, Connecticut
Norfolk Library Interior View
Relaxation Situation - Norfolk, Connecticut
I spent the majority of the day in Norfolk park, on the opposite side of the street from the library. I used the time to nap and read in the shade. Before setting up, the librarian was kind enough to charge my cell phone battery behind the front desk; I was nearly out of power.

Proud Pile
My morning uphill pedal resulted in an afternoon downhill ride to Canaan. I picked up groceries, then rode several more miles to just east of Salisbury, where the Appalachian Trail crosses highway forty-four.

Pointing the Way - Appalachian Trail
Inviting Entrance - Appalachian Trail
I figured I’d spend the night on the trail. It didn’t take long to find a camping spot one-quarter of a mile in. I had hoped to come in contact with a thru hiker to offer them some of my pizza, but none came by. I plan to start section hiking the AT in the next ten years. I have considered taking time off work to trek the entire trail. I will continue to ponder this major adventure.

Pine Needle Paradise - Appalachian Trail
I took my bottle shower, then climbed into the tent. It will be a pleasant sleep resting on pine needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment