Salisbury, Connecticut to Clinton Corners, New York – July 7, 2017

New York State Boundary (Selfie 4)
Due to rainy weather conditions, I chose to get a few chores done and relax early in the day. I took the “Beautiful Ramble”, a gravel pathway / bike trail, into Lakeville. There, I found a laundromat and threw in a load. While I waited for the machine, I walked over to a local coffee shop. Two older men sat down. I spoke for at least thirty minutes with Peter and his friend (I’m terrible with names). It was interesting conversing about the state of the nation and, more specifically, the public education system.

Beautiful Ramble (Green Grass Ride)
After drying, folding and packing my clothes, I cycled about two miles down the road, in the rain, to the Hotchkiss School, a private, co-ed, college prep boarding school. I slipped into the cafeteria and read while the room filled with students participating in the summer program. It costs approximately $60,000 per year to attend Hotchkiss; these were the well-shod students of the country.

I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set... - Hotchkiss School
Pastoral
After finishing my current book “Ready Player One”, I noticed that the rain had finally stopped and the sky was clearing. The show of students and faculty was over in the dining hall, so I decided it was high time to put in some mileage.

New Novel - Handlebar Bag Configuration
My first real effort for the day took me across the New York State line and into Millerton. There, I purchased the science fiction classic “Dune”. This novel has been on my must-read list for too long. I’m looking forward to moving through it.

Later, I cycled to the post office and mailed “RPO” back to Washington. After purchasing my new book, I didn’t have the room, or desire, to pedal it to Washington, D. C.

Signage - Harlem Valley Rail Trail
Blasted Bedrock - Harlem Valley Rail Trail
In Millerton, I gained access to the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. I was fortunate enough to ride the flat, paved surface for 8.5 miles. I passed very few people on the trail, possibly due to there being rain in the forecast.

After pedaling just about an hour, I stopped at the Amenia library to fill water bottles. There, I entered into a lengthy conversation with Miriam, the librarian. She was extremely intrigued by my trip. Miriam went on to point me in the direction of a wine festival happening in town. The idea sounded interesting, but the eighty dollar entrance fee was too steep for my budget.

Believing me destitute, Miriam let me know that I could camp on the lawn behind the building. She dug in her purse and handed me half of a donut (she had eaten the other half) as well as several small packages of Chips Ahoy! cookies. The half donut I consumed immediately in the library; the cookies I saved for later. Kindness can be found on every east coast corner.

Ball Field Bed (Bottle Shower Setup to Left of Tent) - Clinton Corners
Just west of Clinton Corners, I spotted a baseball field. I banked left and came in for a landing just behind a covered picnic area. After a bite to eat, I practiced yoga then set up my tent for the evening. I hit the bottle shower, then the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment