Danville to Derry, New Hampshire – June 29, 2017

Robert Frost Farm - Derry, New Hampshire
Today, I made little progress moving south; no matter. I spent a relaxing day split between the Derry Public Library and Robert Frost’s Farm.

During the library visit, I moved further in “Ready Player One”. I also rolled out my yoga mat and completed my routine on the grass near the Derry war memorials (light rain fell for the final fifteen minutes – refreshing).

The only mishap to note occurred in the library restroom. Before entering, I disregarded a sign that clearly indicated a key was to be obtained from the front desk to unlock the men’s room door (which was, at the time, pinned open with a doorstop). Kicking out the stop, I proceeded inside the single toilet space. In less than three minutes, I heard the key I neglected to acquire turning in the lock. The next instant, a postal worker stood before me in shocked silence. Time stood still. Finally, he bolted saying “There’s two keys?!” I sat, shaking my head. I’m usually not this careless. If only I could wipe his mind clean of this whole experience…

Frost's "Necessity Room" (Library Solution?) - Frost Farm
Soapstone Sink (Original) - Frost Farm
I spent the majority of the day at the Robert Frost Farm, his family residence from 1900 – 1911. It was deeply moving to be in the place where he composed “The Pasture” and “Mending Wall”. I took the tour of his home, and learned quite a lot about his life from the guide. Walking around the grounds, I envisioned Frost family scenes playing out over one hundred years ago. This experience deepened my attraction to Frost’s work and has prompted me to look further into the man and his genius for words.

Mending Wall Inspiration - Frost Farm
Having not slept in a bed for ten days, I secured an Airbnb one mile from the Frost Farm. The shower, laundry facilities and nearness to the historic site made my choice easy. Also, the room has a ceiling fan.

Laundry Facility (Airbnb) - Derry, New Hampshire

No comments:

Post a Comment