Rye to Danville, New Hampshire – June 28, 2017

Drying Out (Charging Up) - Rye Public Library
I woke to rain several times during the night, a soothing sound when tucked into a reliable tent.

Bicycle Repair Stand (Forward Thinking) - Rye Public Library
My sleeping gear on this trip consists of a Big Agnes “Fly Creek” one person tent, a 20 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt, a Thermarest “Prolite Plus” sleeping pad and a Sea to Summit “Aeros Ultralight” inflatable pillow (with custom Seattle Seahawk pillowcase courtesy of Cake Bergquist). This combination is both lightweight and comfortable. I have been sleeping well at night.

Inflate, Rest, Repeat
Custom Cover
Wanting to dry out, I stopped for three hours at the Rye Public Library. I spoke to the librarian about his rock climbing adventures and some programs that he had spearheaded for the community. Knowing it was a wet night, he encouraged me to hang my tent by the outside picnic table to dry; I took him up on it.

While waiting, I charged my phone and read, finishing “A Confederacy of Dunces”. For a few gut-busting laughs, I’d recommend this book. Not wanting to carry the weight of “Confederacy”, I, later, mailed it home, book rate, from the Exeter post office. I had a chance to start “Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline (thanks, Justin). The first chapter set the hook deep.

I finally launched around noon and put some time in on the cycle. On the outskirts of Exeter, I picked up food at Hannaford’s and continued southwest through the beautiful neighborhoods of New Hampshire.

Danville Anvil
One aspect of the east coast that I have not previously mentioned are the expansive lawns that people tend. I constantly pass by exhausted people, some of considerable age, fighting back Mother Nature with weed eaters and mowers. They must be praying to God for the rain to stop. The business to be in here is lawnmower sales, service or lawn care. Currently, it’s nine thirty at night, and, from a distance, I can hear the distinct sound of a local mowing their lawn. I’m willing to bet that, in a few hundred years, lawns will be largely replaced by native plantings.

Rainbow Campground - Danville
Being out of luck again in regards to a campsite, I entered Danville and quickly found a suitable spot on a hill above their public elementary school. Keeping with my “slow tour”, I cycled approximately twenty-five miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment