Kennebunk, Maine to Rye, New Hampshire – June 27, 2017

Atlantic Perch
After taking my time packing up, I headed down highway one and found the Maine Diner. I tried the “Miles Henry Downeast Benedict”. Eggs on codcakes make for an interesting combination, a satisfying meal.

Menu - Maine Diner
Today, I skirted the Atlantic for the better part of the ride. Salt air smells like home. Miles of beautiful view homes were were stacked against the shoreline. Public spaces were few and far between. I sensed old money on the coast of Maine: Wells Beach, Moody Beach, York Beach and Kittery Point.

Salt Air
Along the route, I had the pleasure of stopping by two remarkable libraries, Ogunquit Memorial and Rice Public. I read and pored over my maps in both.

Ogunquit Memorial (Old World View)
Ogunquit Memorial (Interior Perspective)
Ogunquit Memorial (In Miniature)
I entered Rice Public to temporarily take shelter from the lightning and rainstorm that was brewing. The librarian was kind enough to offer a camping spot on her property, but I turned it down after finding out it was five miles off route. What kindness! At closing time, I donned my raingear and continued down the road.

Rice Public Library (Ridin' Out the Storm)
Crossing over into Portsmouth, New Hampshire, in the poring rain left me little time to say goodbye to Maine. I began navigating streets, looking to leave the urban area and find a camping spot along the route. Sometimes, when bicycling, the rain falls so hard that the idiocy of my situation makes me smile. I was smiling when I came upon Rye Elementary.

Freecamp - Rye, New Hampshire
Initially looking for a covered area to wait out the deluge, I recognized a perfect situation for camping. Near the edge of the school, I pushed a short distance into the forest, found a flat spot and set up. I removed wet clothing, climbed in and unpacked my sleeping items. The forecast is good; I’ll dry tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment