Gray to Kennebunk, Maine – June 26, 2017

Shakespeare Practice (Lafeyette Park) - Kennebunk, Maine
I packed up my stealth camp at around six thirty and hit the road, at least as far as the corner McDonald’s. I use the facilities when, and where, I can find them. The coast is so populated, I have never had to look far.

Safeway is to the west coast as Hannaford’s is to the east. I can enter any store and quickly find what I’m looking for. This is convenient, although I frequently feel like I am in a Twilight Zone episode. There is absolutely NO deviation in the deli options from store to store. Even the muffin flavors are identical. Who is the mastermind behind this distribution system?

I know that there must be a flaw, one special Hannaford item that only presents itself randomly to customers. I have a hunch I’m onto something. Several days ago, I purchased a “Time Savers” package of vegetables. I have not been able to procure this item since, even after asking for it on two different occasions. I am also attuned to the look employees give me when I ask for this particular item. It can only be described as “vacant”. Have I happened upon some sort of key to the Hannaford maze? More later.

Alewife Baptist (Shut)
During the later part of the day I met Simon, the first bicycle tourist going south that I have encountered. He was traveling at an extremely fast clip, wanting to complete the journey to Key West in one month. Simon is deep into his medical school studies, but has found time to indulge himself on this tour. After a brief chat, we exchanged words of encouragement, then continued the route at our own pace.

The Layout - Stadig Campground
I have to confess, I broke my promise to myself and cycled over fifty miles today. Some days, the rhythm of the pedals and ever-changing scenery is too addicting. This was one of those days. I will also admit that I was in search of a campsite with showers. Stadig Mobile Park / Campground, located three miles out of Kennebunk, fit the bill. I’m the only one in the designated tent camping site. Pleasant dreams…

Stadig Fairyland

No comments:

Post a Comment