Thomas Point to Gray, Maine – June 25, 2017

The Garden of Earthly Delights - L. L. Bean Headquarters
I left Thomas Point relatively early this morning, bound for whatever the day had in store. Pulling into Freeport, I entered L. L. Bean’s flagship store. I just scratched the surface, spending most of my time in the camping section.

The amount of goods for sale was astounding. Shoppers, particularly older men, stared deeply into the heart of the summer collection. Others lingered by the brook trout, penned in, but kept alive, below the staircase to the women and children’s section. I left with a lasting memory.

I pulled into Gray at about four o’clock and decided to call it a day. While at the public library (closed), I noticed a suitable camping spot just off the lawn, in the woods. I cleared it of twigs for later, then wheeled into town to find a public park.

Gazebo Setup - Pennell Park, Gray
Gray isn’t large, and Pennell Park presented itself immediately. A gazebo caught my eye near the rear of the space. I quickly unpacked my dew-soaked tent (to dry) and set up my hammock. I spent several hours in the spot, occupying myself with reading, napping and an extensive yoga session. Shorty before eight, I remembered Goody’s Pizza and headed in for a small pie. The owners were closing at eight, but took my order and told me to take my time. They even allowed me to secure my bicycle inside. Pouring over my bike maps, I realized that I’d be leaving Maine in a short number of days, a bittersweet thought.

Goody's Goodness - Gray, Maine
After dinner, I stopped by the large graveyard by Goody’s before heading to my stealth camp behind the public library. The mosquitoes were out in force, which hastened my setup. I pray the bookmobile doesn’t come early.

Those Who Have Gone Before - Gray, Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment