Rockport to Pemaquid Pond, Maine – June 23, 2017

Lockup with Dogwood - Waldoboro Public Library
Just let me get something off my chest, it seems that there are very few bicyclists in Maine (at least occupying the short distance that I have ridden). I hope to see more heading south.

I did meet one interesting fellow cyclist today at the Waldoboro Public Library. Martin Gibson is an established musician with an eclectic set of life experiences. We spoke for over an hour about life in Maine, among other things. Later, he went out of his way to show me the location of a nearby grocery store, Hannaford Supermarket. Kindness is easy to find here.

I decided to call it a day after about twenty-five miles. I’m in the process of scaling back. Duck Puddle Campground was suggested on my Adventure Cycle Association map. Pedaling a few miles off my route brought me to the private overnight destination.

Land of Dreams - Duck Puddle Laundry
After a warm shower, and a game of Mrs. Packman, I ran a load of laundry while sipping a Heineken and reading “A Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud as I turned the pages. Laundromats have always held a special place in my heart. The hum of machines, the warm air, the satisfaction of a freshly folded shirt – heaven.

Pyromania - Duck Puddle Campground
Leaving my little slice of paradise for the large, grassy communal area of Duck Puddle, I came upon a roaring bonfire. Thinking there would be less mosquitoes by the heat, I took my grocery store dinner to the fire. It wasn’t long before Ed Sprague sidled up. Interested in my tour, he shared information about a few upcoming events in the area. Ed mentioned that he was planning on walking the Camino de Santiago in October. I shared what I knew about the trip. Buen Camino, Ed!

The mosquitoes thickened, ice rattled at the bottom of his glass and we parted ways, a pleasant ending to a memorable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment